Welcome to IntermittentFastingDiet.co.uk. This is a personal blog where I will be documenting my fat loss and muscle gain journey via an intermittent fasting eating plan. I will be regularly updating this website with before and after progress photos, diet plans (what I’m eating, and when), and workout plans (what exercises I’m doing, and when). If you’d like to follow my progress from the beginning, please start here: Intermittent Fasting – Week 1
I will not be following a die-hard programme, but simply taking the fundamentals from the popular purveyors of the intermittent fasting lifestyle (Martin Berkhan of Leangains, Brad Pilon of Eat Stop Eat, etc), and applying them to fit around my lifestyle. I will not be counting macronutrients, but instead will be eating the right food groups at the right times, and using my body as an indicator of what is and isn’t working for me. You will be able to follow my progress every step of the way.
What is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting is a style of eating that situates your body in one of two states: Fasted, and Fed. Typically, one will fast for around 16 hours, and then do their eating within an 8 hour window. This is thought to have a number of benefits which can help to speed up both fat loss and muscle gain. You can find out more about intermittent fasting here: What is Intermittent Fasting?
Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
IF is thought to have a number of health related benefits, including:
- Increased Longevity – Studies have shown that intermittent fasting has the potential to prolong lifespan.
- Autophagy – Fasting causes cells to recycle waste material, reduce wasteful processes, and repair themselves.
- Neuroprotection – Fasting is actually good for brain health. Typically, dietry restriction will often promote neurogenesis (the production of brain cells).
- Growth Hormone production – Fasting has been shown to induce growth hormone secretion in men (great for increasing muscle mass).
- Increased Focus – Many fasters experience increased alertness and mental focus when fasting.
Intermittent Fasting Results
I will be tracking the results of my fasting plan on the blog, with photos, measurements, and general thoughts. If you’d like to read the blog from the beginning, you can start here: Intermittent Fasting – Week 1